Lord and Lady Greystroke from England are lost at sea, and their lives change forever. Their son, Tarzan, is raised by an ape named Kala in the African jungle. As Tarzan grows up, he must fight to earn his place among the apes while learning to survive in the wild. Later, he meets a group of white explorers and a beautiful young woman for the first time. Until then, Tarzan has only known apes and the African tribes living in the jungle, so he is surprised to see people who look different from anyone he has ever met but has a skin color as his own. Their arrival changes Tarzan's life and makes him question who he really is.
I cannot say much about the second book because I do not want to spoil the story. In the sequel, Edgar Rice Burroughs moves away from his experiment, but focuses on a classic adventure story. Tarzan returns to Africa, but before that he travels through Arab lands. Along the way, he becomes involved in an exciting intrigue that includes a beautiful Russian countess. The novel is full of action, adventure, and unexpected twists.
The novel also helped spread stereotypes about African tribes. It often describes Africa as a wild and dangerous place where the people are primitive or violent. However, these ideas came more from colonial adventure stories than from real history. In reality, many African societies were well organized and had rich cultures. Therefore, while Tarzan of the Apes is an exciting adventure novel, modern readers should remember that its portrayal of Africa is biased and does not accurately represent African people or cultures.
“If you are a man, you will return to protect your kind. You will not run away from one of your own people, because one of them has run away from you.” (D'Arnott to Tarzan)
I think one of the most interesting parts of Tarzan of the Apes is that Tarzan naturally chooses to do good things, even though nobody truly teaches him morality. He grows up in the jungle among apes, without human education or society, yet he still protects people, shows kindness, and avoids hurting humans he sees as his own kind. It feels like goodness comes naturally from inside him. Perhaps Edgar Rice Burroughs wanted to show that Tarzan is noble by nature, not because civilization taught him to be civilized. That is why many readers see him not only as a jungle man, but also as a naturally good person.
“You are free now, Jane,” he said, “and I have come across the ages out of the dim and distant past from the lair of the primeval man to claim you—for your sake I have become a civilized man—for your sake I have crossed oceans and continents—for your sake I will be whatever you will me to be. I can make you happy, Jane, in the life you know and love best. Will you marry me?”
In conclusion, I probably expected too much from this novel from a literary perspective, but the story itself is simple and enjoyable. I like the way Edgar Rice Burroughs romanticizes Tarzan's adventure. Tarzan's love letter to Jane is almost impossible to believe, it is far too poetic for someone who has never formally learned grammar or writing. However, the best way to enjoy Tarzan of the Apes is not to expect complete realism, since Tarzan is portrayed as a superhuman with extraordinary intelligence, I chose to accept it as part of the novel's fantasy. As a romantic adventure story, I give this novel 3,5 stars of Five, and I think I don't need to read the third book.
Ruang Buku Megga Rated : ✬✬✬ ✬(3,5/5)
Title : Tarzan The Apes & The Return of Tarzan
Year : October, 2015 (First Published in 1912 )
Format / Pages : Softcover / 467 pages
ISBN : 1626864705
Author : Edgar Rice Burroughs
Publisher : CloudClassic (Canterbury Classics)Year : October, 2015 (First Published in 1912 )
Format / Pages : Softcover / 467 pages
ISBN : 1626864705


No comments:
Post a Comment