Thursday, May 9, 2019

Book Review Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare


Couple years ago, I often read books whose stories mention a lot about Romeo and Juliet's plays, especially YA books. Why this play has a main role in American or English high school dramas although it's language is not how we speak today?
According to the article in phdessay.com, the reason why Romeo and Juliet should be taught in school is because of tradition, a unique style of writing will make stundent's brain work much harder to understand the message, and the use of metaphors that can be learned in literature. By reading Romeo and Juliet student were receiving more knowledge. 
What about me? I am not English/American native, I am not English literature student. For me English is foreign language. I am just ordinary Indonesian girl and my brain worked very much and much harder even five times more harder than American/English students to understand it, though Romeo and Juliet is arguably for beginners. And when I was done is like "maaaaaannnnn...." and then when I stared at my bookshelf where another pieces of Shakespeare books stored, and I said alright Anthony and Cleopatra, King Lear and A Midsummer night's Dreams, you 're all next! 
Before R&J, I have read Hamlet and Macbeth in Indonesian edition and I do not plan to read them again in original version. 

Everyone has knew who is Romeo Montague and who is Juliet Capulet and the story line behind them. They Live in Ancient Verona. But, where is Verona? Verona is the the part of Italy nowdays.  Montague and Capulet is aristocratic house in Verona, but they are hostile to each other. It's not Romeo's fault who fell in love with Juliet for the first sight. For me, I love how Romantic Romeo. Although sound tacky, but I love his metaphor involving Juliet.
"But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks? It's is the east, and Juliet is the sun!" (Romeo, Act II, Scene II, pg. 25)
"By Love, that first did prompt me to inquire; He lent me counsel, and I lent him eyes. I am no pilot; yet, wert thou as far. As the far as that vast shore wash'd with the farhest sea, I would adventure for such merchandise."  (Romeo, Act II, Scene II, pg. 27)
If there's a chance, Romeo often met her in Capulet's orchard. He must hide  from the guards, if they caught him, he will die. Also Juliet was no less romantic,
"Yond light is not daylight, I know it, It is some meteor that sun exhales, To be to thee this night a torch bearer, And light thee on the way to Mantua: Therefore stay yet; thou need'st to be gone" (Juliet, Act III, Scene V, pg. 59). 
Literary I love both of them. Their love presented the lark in the cruel circumstance. Even Friar Lawrence said that their love might end this hostile. 

Somewhere in the street of Verona, Romeo met his destiny. He disgraced himself after accidentally killed Juliet's cousin, Tybalt to took revenge his best friend, Mercutio who died in Tybalt's arm.  Therfore Romeo exiled from Verona to Mantua. 
Tybalt, he was arrogant and aggressive character. His presence always provoked commotion.  
Juliet found really hard to go on his life. She met Friar Lawrence to take help and to counsel so that she might understand and found solution above this circumstance, 

All I can say is they were slave of love. They wanted happily ever after. But wait ... this drama isn't love story at all. This is a tragedy. So brace yourself if you won't find happy ending.

PS: For fully understand this script, I read The Tales of Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb as my companion. This edition retold Shakespeare's famous play as narrative. 

Ruang Buku Rated : ✭✭✭ (3/5)

Tittle : Romeo and Juliet
Author : William Shakespeare
Publisher : Dover Thrift Editions USA
Year : 1993 (Original date published 1597)
Page : 92



No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed